Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Day 1 – First day of classes on Campus (July 13, 2009)



Today was my first day of classes. WOW – so many brilliant students in my class! I guess I will have to call them my new family for the next 4 years. The wealth of knowledge was among the students and the faculty is amazing. I am privilege and fortunate to be part of this group.

Doctorate orientation begins with a continental breakfast and introductions. There were hands full of students in my class who have completed their masters at Royal Roads University. Everyone shared some typed of anxiety or uncertainty – which made me felt good.

Dr. Peggy Patterson facilitates the course in the morning starting with explaining the doctorate student’s requirements, administration, and schedules of classes, assignments and grades.

In the afternoon Dr. Michele Jacobsen facilitate the class on Educational Technology. We each stated with an introduction and I will have to concur with Michele’s observation of the vast of knowledge and passion in the class.

We begin with defining technology:

• … is defined both conceptually and as a field of practice.
• A conceptual definition:
– Educational technology is the study and ethical practice of facilitating learning and improving performance by creating, using, and managing appropriate technological processes and resources. (Januszewski & Molenda, 2008)

The concept of five domains which define educational technology as a field of research and practice were introduced.

Design: the process of specifying conditions for learning
Development: the process of translating design specifications into physical form
Utilization: the act of using processes and resources for learning
Management: involves controlling Instructional Technology through planning, organizing, coordinating, and supervising
Evaluation: the process of determining the adequacy of instruction and learning

We left the day overwhelm with new terms, definitions and a ton of reading. In addition to the course work, we had to develop this Blog! I want to use this blog as learning journal and a reflection of my experiences doing a doctorate degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment